Unique advantages and policy support for the development of characteristic industries
1. A county of ethnic group autonomy and old revolutionary base area. Qinglong Manchu Autonomous County boasts a population of 567,000, including 74% of Manchu people, and enjoys national preferential policies for ethnic groups and old revolutionary areas.
2. A county of national key poverty alleviation. In 2001, Qinglong Manchu Autonomous County was listed as a national key county for poverty alleviation and development. As the main battlefield for poverty alleviation in Qinhuangdao City, all walks of life have made great efforts and shaken off poverty in 2018, ranking the eighth among the top 100 poverty-stricken counties in China and the first in North China.
3. A county of mountains. Qinglong Manchu Autonomous County has a total area of 3,510 square kilometers, and the eastern foot of the Yanshan Mountains covers the whole territory, which is known as “80% of mountains, 10% of waters and 10% of field”.
4. A county of culture. Qinglong Manchu Autonomous County has a long history and profound cultural heritage integrating the cultures of the Xi ethnic group, the Manchu ethnic group, the revolutionary base and the liquor.
5. A county of abundant resources. Qinglong Manchu Autonomous County boasts rich resources of minerals, agriculture and tourism. With the iron ore resources listed among top 10 in Hebei province, it is hailed as the China’s Gold County, the Hometown of Apples, Sticky Bean Buns in China, the Hometown of Chestnuts in Jingdong, and the Hometown of Miscellaneous Grains in Hebei Province.
6. A county of ecology. Qinglong Autonomous County boasts a first-class ecological environment in Hebei province. It is located in the mid-latitude region and belongs to a semi-humid continental monsoon climate in the northern temperate zone. The seasons are distinct, the sunshine is sufficient, and the temperature difference between day and night is large. The frost-free period is long, the annual average temperature is 10.3 ℃, the average summer temperature is 24.4 ℃, and the average annual precipitation is 520.5 mm. The PM2.5 per cubic meter is less than 20 micrograms, which meets the national level-2 standard. The air quality is at the city’s first-class level and on the top of the province. The water quality is better than the national level-2 environmental quality standard for surface water and shallow groundwater. In particular, the water quality of Taolinkou Reservoir meets the national level-1 water quality standard, the best in the province. The area of forest accounts for more than two-thirds of Qinhuangdao City, and the forest coverage rate reaches 71%, ranking the second in Hebei Province, and the first in Qinhuangdao City. The soil is mainly neutral sandy loam, with a pH of about 6.0, and the contents of soil organic matter, alkali hydrolyzable nitrogen, and available phosphorus are high.
Main Ideas and Paths for the Revitalization and Development of Characteristic Industries
In recent years, the Qinglong County Party Committee and Government have made full use of the unique geographical and climatic conditions to unswervingly follow the path of sustainable development of “lush mountains and lucid waters are invaluable assets”, and implement the strategy of developing the county with ecology and transformation, focus on the characteristic industry revitalization, to promote the characteristic industries such as forests and fruits, Chinese herbal medicines, edible fungi, and fine grains, etc. based on the county’s characteristic industry foundation, so as to improve quality, create brands, and increase benefits and revitalize the characteristic industries.
1. Planning and top-level designing. Based on the advantages of ecological resources, we will adhere to the principle of “adapting measures to local conditions, rational layout, scale operation, and intensive development”, highlighting the concept of “ecology +”, focusing on the key sectors such as chestnuts, meat products, Chinese herbal medicines, edible fungi, fine grains, fruit juice drinks, mineral water, etc., formulating the Deep Processing Industry Cluster Plan of Special Agricultural Products (2019-2025) and the Development Plan of Fruit Tree Industry (2016-2025), and the Three-year Plan of Revitalizing the Healthy Development of the Chestnut Industry (2020-2022), so as to scientifically design the layout, formulate plans, clarify the goals, improve the measures, and guide the characteristic industries to large-scale clusters.
2. Make full use of preferential policies and provide considerate services. In the specific works, we focus on adjusting the structure, improving the quality, cultivating the brands, focusing on green development, and cultivating the leading enterprises with preferential policies. We have formulated and issued the Guidelines on Vigorously Developing the Chestnut Industry, Guidelines on Supporting and Developing the Chinese Herbal Medicine Bases, Reward and Supplement Guidelines for Key New Business Entities, and Guidelines on Poverty Alleviation Projects with Income from Characteristic Industrial Assets, to focus on the construction of leading enterprises, and the cultivation of the new business entities. Since 2016, we have promoted the county’s characteristic industries on the basis of poverty alleviation, investing a total of 520 million yuan in financial integration of agriculture-related funds, to support 145 income-increasing projects in sectors such as planting, breeding, and storage and processing of agricultural products, and the service covers all of the characteristic industries. In accordance with the development needs of the entire industry chain, we have established an agricultural industry technical service system at the level of county, township and village, with the training modes of “government + universities + scientific research institutions + enterprises” “department + experts + scientific and technological talents + rural leaders for becoming rich” and “enterprises + bases + cooperatives + farmers”. Four R&D institutions, 5 modern agricultural parks, 20 industrial bases, 2 county-level and 15 township-level industrial technical service expert teams with 142 technical instructors have been established, to ensure that every project is equipped with experts and technical instructors. Since the beginning of this year, a total of 6,000 practical technical trainings have been carried out. Online and offline trading platforms have been set up to help agricultural cooperatives sell nearly 100 million yuan in agricultural products through livestreaming. 58 leading industrialized enterprises above the municipal level and 1,800 specialized farmer cooperatives have been cultivated and developed. Up to now, the poverty alleviation goal of “Three mu of fruit trees and income of 6000 yuan per person” has been basically achieved for the annual rural population. The leading momentum is strong. Through launching the activity of “Three Creations and Four Constructions”(the innovation, entrepreneurship, creating national civilized city, health city and forest city; building modern economic system, high-quality development system of integration of the rural and urban areas, and the first-class business environment), we will continue to deepen the reform of streamlining administration, delegating powers, and improving regulation and services, and continue to optimize the business environment. We have implemented the “3+N”special-group contract model for key projects, promoting front-line office, take the leaders of county government and leading departments and project secretaries as the backbone of the special groups who take full responsibility for subcontracted projects in the whole process, so as to spare no effort to cultivate the leading enterprises. Since 2018, we have planned and reserved 120 characteristic industrial projects in the county, and invested 323 million yuan in poverty alleviation funds to support the leading enterprises such as Fenggang Entrepreneurship Incubation Base, Baifeng Trading, Tongsheng Pharmaceutical, and Shuanghesheng. The industrial development momentum is strong and the return on assets gets increased. The whole county is embarking the way getting rid of poverty and becoming prosperous.
The Development of Characteristic Industries with Remarkable Achievements
1. The scale of the industry gets lager. As of the end of 2019, the forest and fruit industry has reached 1.3 million mu, with an annual output of 300 thousand tons, including chestnut planting area of 1 million mu, with an annual output of 40 thousand tons, making Qinglong the best chestnut county renowned at home and abroad; the fruit planting area is 260 thousand mu with an annual output of 210 thousand tons, more than 9,800 ancient pear trees of 100 years old and above have been protected, the total amount of resources retained ranks the first in China; the planting area of Chinese herbal medicine is 100 thousand mu, with the annual output of 20 thousand tons, marking the main product area of authentic Chinese herbal medicines in Yanshan Mountain in Hebei Province, and China’s largest Atractylodes Chinensis planting and breeding base. The cultivation scale of edible fungi is 50 thousand with the annual output of 26,000 tons. The planting area of fine grains is 100 thousand mu, with an annual output of 1.4 thousand tons, and the brands such as “Zaiqi” sticky bean buns are famous. A total of 12 special agricultural product deep processing industrial clusters, 11 supporting enterprises, and 12 related tertiary industry enterprises have been cultivated, achieving an annual operating income of 1.13 billion yuan.
2. The industrial brands get increased. We have strengthened the cultivation of regional characteristic brands, to expand the scope of “three products and one standard” certification, and enhance the reputation and influence of Qinglong’s characteristic industries. In the past few years, Qinglong has successively won the titles of National Model County for Greening, and the first batch of outstanding green development counties in China, and has been rated as one of the “Top 100 Towns in China for Deep Breathing” for five consecutive years. Four sessions of the Qinglong Chestnut Festival and the Qinhuangdao Chestnut Industry Development Conference were successfully held. The quality of the Qinglong chestnut was highly praised by Yin Weilun, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, and Zhang Jingzheng, a chestnut expert and professor at Hebei Normal University of Science and Technology. Qinglong chestnuts have got the identification of China’s organic food, and won a total of 13 medals at China (Langfang) Agricultural Products Fair; annual exports to Japan and Taiwan are more than 7,000 tons, the trademark “Qinglong Ganli” is separately registered in Japan, and were identified as a “million-mu export-oriented Jingdong chestnut export base county” by the Hebei Provincial Government. In 2017, the slogan of “Qinglong Chestnuts from Hebei, China” was broadcast on the big screen of Times Square in New York City, USA. In 2019, the promotional video “Qinglong Chestnuts, best in the World” was broadcast at the World Chinatown Conference in the United States. “Longfu” apple was rated as a “famous and high-quality agricultural product” in Hebei Province; Qinglong is known as the “Natural Medicine Bank in the North China”, and has been identified as one of the Top 10 authentic Chinese herbal medicine producing county by Hebei Province; edible fungi brands such as Longgu, Dashan, and Mutoudeng have won the gold medals at the national and provincial agricultural fairs and agricultural exhibitions; “Zaiqi” Sticky Bean Buns were rated as a famous brand product for small and medium enterprises in Hebei Province, and won the gold medal at the 16th China International Agricultural Products Fair.
3. The industrial chain gets longer. We focus on the county’s large-scale and high-quality characteristic agricultural products under the background poverty alleviation supported by the Ministry of Education, to make the industrial chain more complete, enhance products’ competitiveness, strive to connect the industries with universities, fully promote the transformation and upgrading of characteristic industries, develop snacks such as chestnut pastries and chestnut drinks, launch processing projects such as quick-frozen chestnut kernels, easily-peeling chestnuts, and chestnut beverages. At present, we are promoting the deep-processing projects such as chestnut, Chinese herbal slices, pear juice, apple vinegar, and grains, forming an agricultural product deep-processing industrial clusters focusing on chestnuts, apples, Chinese herbal medicines, and grains.
Prospects for the Revitalization of Characteristic Industries
In the next step, the Qinglong County Party Committee and Government will give full play to its resource advantages, building bases in the upstream, extending the industrial chain in the downstream, focusing on the development positioning of “one park and three bases” in the coordinated development of Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei regions, that is, building the national park, the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Green Agricultural Products Base, the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Tourism and Leisure Base, and the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Scientific Research Achievement Transformation Base. We will highlight the concept of “ecology +” , and take Hebei Qinglong Economic Development Zone and Hebei Qinglong Logistic Industrial agglomeration as the priority to revitalize the county’s characteristic industries in accordance with Heibei’s requirements for industrial projects entering into the parks. We will develop the deep processing projects such as Chinese herbal slices and bio pharmaceuticals in the Hebei Qinglong Economic Development Zone, and chestnut, apple, and hawthorn in Hebei Qinglong Logistic Industrial agglomeration, so as to create characteristic industrial clusters in Qinglong, and lay a solid foundation for the high-quality development of Qinglong county through ecology protection and industrial revitalization.
This is a brief summary of the revitalization of Qinglong’s characteristic industries. Now my colleagues and I are willing to answer your questions, and we are looking forward to your precious suggestions.
International Channel Mobile Client